Monday 15 February 2016

ONION BHAJIS WITH A CHILLI KICK

My first recipe for my blog is these great spicy fragrant onion bhajis that I wanted to make for dad and as the new kitchen Executive Chef 'O' in the house I have instructed my new Comis Cook (mum)! to follow my instructions.


Ingredients
(makes 12)

2 Spanish onions
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sea salt 
1/2 tsp white pepper
4 tbsp coriander
2 habaneros chopped
200g gram flour (chickpea)
100ml water
1ltr ground nut oil for frying

Cool Mint Yogurt Dip
Just mix all ingredients together
200ml goat or sheeps yogurt
30 mint leaves finely chopped
1/4 tsp honey

I first got mum to slice the onions thinly and place in a large bowl, then asked mum to add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl except the water.  I needed to smell the curry powders as we had a few to choose from and I choose a mild madras curry powder as I wanted to zing these bhajis up with the wonderful habanero chilli, I love this chilli, I have never eaten it, I'm not that brave! but I love the fresh sweet peachy smell and it was that flavour I wanted to add in to these bhajis along with a hot kick that dad will love.

Next I had a go at mixing the onions together then I got mum to keep mixing the onions by hand squeezing all the ingredients together, this is because I learnt that the salt in the mix will encourage the onions to release their water, this will start to make the batter with the gram flour, so we will need less water in the batter making a better bhajis and ensuring a even mix where no gram flour gets left dry, next I got mum to start adding the water stirring in until I was happy with a thick batter consistency, these are now ready to cook.  I choose to deep fry as they taste better fried, but you can oven bake for 30 minutes.

This mum did, heated a deep pan of oil to 180 degrees C, and dropped in large spoonfuls of the onion batter, cook for 3 minutes each side turning once, remove from the oil and drain on paper, serve warm with a cool yogurt and fresh mint dip, that's for the chilli kick!



No comments:

Post a Comment