Friday 26 February 2016

TOAD IN THE HOLE

This is one of my favourite cooks for when my teenage mates come over for a chill out in my teenage den, it is simple and a one pan cook which leaves me more time with my mates.  I like to serve this with buttery mashed potato, peas and onion gravy.

Cooking Time 45 minutes


Ingredients
(serves 4)

Toad In The Hole
8-12 sausages
200g plain flour
200g beaten eggs
200g full cream milk
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch white pepper
50ml olive oil
4ptn buttery mashed potatoes 
4ptn peas

Onion Gravy 
1 lrg onion sliced
10ml olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
500ml boiling water
2tbsp cornflour
3tbsp water

Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees C.  To make the batter I started to whisk the eggs into the flour, I got mum to whisk the mixture to a smooth paste and then asked mum to pour in the milk while I whisked until I had a thick smooth batter, I then seasoned with the salt and pepper.  This I left to rest on the side while I put the sausages in a oiled roasting tin and ordered mum to put the roasting tin in the oven to start cooking the sausages for 20 minutes, next I start to make the onion gravy while the sausages are cooking.

I placed the olive oil and onions in a frying pan and cooked with mum until they were soft around 20 minutes then I added the sugar and water, once the gravy was simmering I mixed the cornflour with the water and mum added this to the gravy to thicken, I seasoned the pan and that's the gravy made,.

Next the sausages, these were now half way cooked so I got mum to take the roasting tin out of the oven and I asked mum to pour in the batter around the sausages, this is needed to be done as fast as possible so I enjoyed giving mum the hurry up stick!  I also pointed out to mum that if the batter did not rise it would be down to something she did not me !!!

The batter will take a further 20 minutes to cook, in this time you must not open the oven door at all or the batter will flop!  When the cooking time is up, I asked mum to serve with the mashed potatoes, peas and my onion gravy this is my friends favourite dinner next to my wood fired pizzas.


No comments:

Post a Comment