Monday 18 September 2017

TURMERIC CHILLI SQUID

CLEAN AND GLUTEN FREE
Salt and pepper squid seasoned with turmeric and Kashmiri chilli and lightly tossed through corn flour.  Using corn flour instead of potato flour was a risk well worth it!  Potato flour guarantees a light crispy finish to the squid, but I wanted to remove the starchy element, so I decided on corn flour.  As soon as I tossed my squid in the corn flour it became moist rather than the dry fluffy coating from potato flour, however this sticky coating crisped up really well in the pan and added a gorgeous layer of flavour that made these some of the best salt and pepper squid I have ever cooked!  

Prep time 5 minutes / Cooking time 3 minutes / resting time 5 minutes 


Ingredients 
(Serves 2)

2 large squid tubes prepared and tentacles 
4 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp ground black peppercorns 
1/2 lemon 
4 tbsp ground nut or coconut oil for frying

I get my fish monger to prepare my squid for me, then all I have to do is slice the tubes in to rectangles, score the inside with a criss cross pattern, this is for presentation, and that's the squid ready to use.

Pre heat a small skillet with the oil to 180 C, don't heat above this level unless you are using a high temperature oil.  

Mix the dry ingredients, corn flour, turmeric, Kashmiri, salt and pepper together, toss in the squid and coat well.  Drop the squid in to the hot oil and leave to cook for around 45 seconds then turn and cook for another 45 seconds, at this point your squid should be cooked, an solid white colour all the way through, remove and place on paper towel to drain and rest then serve with a wedge of lemon.

Squid shopping at our local beach fish mongers.

No comments:

Post a Comment