Friday 29 April 2016

GRILLED CHEESE PIZZA SANDWICH WITH PARMESAN CRUST

My mum loves a grilled cheese sandwich and a traditional wood fired San manzano margarita pizza so I thought I could combine the two.  It was a great success, gooey oozey melted cheese with tomato and basil infused sauce sandwiched between butter crispy Parmesan crusty bread which my dad actual pinched the other half of the sandwich!


Ingredients
(Serves 1)

Two slices crusty bread
1/2 stick butter
2 lrg tomato
6 fresh basil leaves torn
Sea salt
Black pepper
3 slices Swiss cheese or mozzarella 
50g grated Parmesan 

First I made the tomato sauce, you could use salsa instead but I wanted a more authentic pizza flavour in my sandwich, skin the tomato and deseed the tomato, roughly chop and place in a sauce pan, simmer until thick and pulpy, you can add a drop of water or olive oil if needed but their shoul be enough juice in the tonato, season withe some salt and pepper and four of the basil leaves, leave to one side to cool.

Butter the two slices of bread from crust to crust as this is a must!  Turn over and spread half the tomato sauce on one slice top with the cheese and then the rest of the tomato sauce, place the slice of bread on top butter side up.  

Now if I was at home I would of got mum to fire up the wood fired pizza oven and cooked this sandwich in there for a even more better combination of pizza flavour but as I am holiday in the states I have cooked this the on a griddle.  

Heat your griddle medium hot and place you sandwich on the griddle, you want to brown the sandwich slow so that the cheese is fully melted in the middle so you get the cheese pull when you take your fist bite.  After approx 2 minutes turn the sandwich and cook for another two minutes, I like to take the griddle off the heat one the sandwich is fully browned off and turn it once more and leave to rest for another minute or so just to ensure that gooey cheese centre.  This sandwich also goes great with a bowl,of homemade creamy tomato soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment